Senior or Director of Technical Product Management (Health Insurance)
1 month ago
This is only for US applicants.
We are looking for a Product Leader who enjoys working on challenging, high impact, greenfield problems. As Director of Product Management, you are responsible for understanding customer needs, agent needs, market trends, and defining product roadmaps that use technology effectively to dramatically improve customer and agent experience. The services and operations we own will be responsible for millions of dollars in revenue, resulting in us having a huge opportunity to move the needle in a positive direction. The team has a strong group of senior engineering and business talent, so it will be a great place for someone to deliver results.
This role will own Product for our On-Demand Agency (ODA), and initially it will be individual contributor with opportunity to lead a group of Product Managers after 18 months that drive growth and own strategy for ODA. As part of the leadership team, you will envision, design, deliver, plan and drive both customer facing and agent facing innovations to enable critical business operations. Specifically, you will report directly to the EVP of ODA and partner with other functional leaders in Engineering, UX design, Operations, Sales, Marketing, Distribution, Traffic Acquisition, Legal, and Finance, to translate the business requirements into world class technical specifications. You will have end to end ownership - all the way from defining the strategy to measuring metrics to monitoring day to day progress of these programs. You will provide direct visibility to senior leadership on all aspects of your programs on a regular cadence.
You must be comfortable dealing with tremendous ambiguity, be strongly technical, be an analytical & critical thinker, and possess excellent problem-solving and communication skills. You will be a strong leader that can provide functional, tactical and responsive leadership to your team. Your oral and written communication skills will be top notch and you will excel in stakeholder relationship management. You will be passionate about your work, see the strategic big-picture yet be detail-oriented and be organized. You will have proven leadership skills in a very fast-paced highly demanding environment. You will have a strong software development background, and in managing and delivering large cross-functional products and programs. You will be calm and composed in times of crisis and be able to respond to escalations with data and causal analysis.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Lead the development of the consumer-focused software product strategy and vision supported by internal and external analysis
- Define creative, high quality, simple product roadmaps based on team strategy and vision
- Develop detailed, crisp business requirements, epics and user stories in JIRA that can be used to create product specifications and architecture
- Create wireframes, workflows and business rules using diagramming tools to document and communicate requirements in most crisp manner
- Evaluate product development scope by understanding the consumer’s needs
- Manage prioritization and trade-offs among customer experience, performance and operational support load
- Create buy-in for the product vision both internally and with key external partners
- Work closely with engineering teams and program management to deliver software products to market
- Drive product launches including working with business development team, executives, and other product management team members
- Proactively identify and resolve strategic issues that may impair the team’s ability to meet strategic, financial, and technical goals
- 7-15+ years of professional experience of software product management experience, including 2+ years leading a team of Product Managers, and 3+ years of software development experience. These experiences could have occurred concurrently. A history of product management in a startup environment. History of teamwork and willingness to roll up one’s sleeves to get the job done.
- BS/BA in a technology, engineering or related field and an MBA (or advanced quantitative/technical degree preferred).
- Broad technical breadth including familiarity with web front end, web services and back-end application and services infrastructure. A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a proven track record of shipping software quickly, experimenting, A/B testing and iterating on the experience.
- Experienced in drawing diagrams, flow charts and wireframes to effectively communicate with distributed designers, engineers and operations.
- Experienced in successfully and succinctly communicating with end users about upcoming features, new features, and support issues in written and diverse visual forms. You must have obsession for end users and have had experience delighting end users and gathering qualitative and quantitative feedback.
- Demonstrated analytical, critical and quantitative skills, the ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions and develop business cases. Demonstrated ability to dive deep in understanding the product, our business, and the competitive landscape
- Experienced in leading cross-functional teams to deliver multiple, concurrent software projects on tight deadlines. Experience coordinating complex product development cycles, cross team dependencies, realistic planning and scheduling, accounting for various phases of software development life cycle. You ensure that smart trade-offs are made in order for projects to be completed in an appropriate and timely manner, acknowledging mistakes, learning from them and always moving forward productively.
- Experienced in specifying edge cases and dependencies so that they are discovered at planning stage rather than at delivery stage.
- Utilized a combination of metrics, research and intuition to evaluate opportunities, establish roadmaps and build solutions.
- Excellent written communication is extremely critical in this role. Demonstrated competence in written communication to effectively and efficiently articulate both strategic vision and specific technical details to various stakeholders, from senior leadership to individual contributors.
- Ability to think strategically and execute methodically. High attention to detail including precise and effective customer communications and proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously.
- Proven track record of taking ownership and successfully delivering results in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.